Sunday, February 12, 2012

T-Shirt Quilt

I had seen it done before but had no idea how TOUGH making a T-shirt quilt would be! After stringing the project out for eight months, I finally finished. Looking to make one yourself? Check out this post below for the steps I used (and how I would have done it better)!

Step 1: Gather T-shirts
For four years, I saved all of my KU T-shirts because I had this quilt in mind from the start of college. When I met Bret, I started saving his as well.

Step 2: Decide on a design and size
I sketched out what I wanted my quilt to look like. Based on the color of shirts I had, I decided to alternate blue and other colors creating a 7x7 quilt with each square being 12x12 inches.

Step 3: Cut out the squares
Since T-shirt material tends to stretch when you cut and sew it, I needed to iron on interfacing to each square.
Step 4: Plan the top layer and sew squares together
This was tough because there was so much material that had to go through my sewing machine. But it is a good feeling when you see the top layer done! (Side note: You sew the squares together with the backing still on the squares.)
Step 5: Add batting and back layers
Next I had to buy quilt batting and material for the back of the quilt. I chose white felt for the back of mine, which gave it a heavy and warm feeling. You can choose lighter, airier materials if wanted. 

I then sewed the three layers together.  Then I used white thread to hand stitch some of the images in the squares to hold the three layers together from the inside. (Side note: Next time I quilt I will sew the inside squares before the outside to avoid billowing material and creating a messy look.) (Side note: I will definitely buy a large loom to make this process easier and cleaner for my next quilt.)

Step 6: Sew bias tape to outside edges
The final step in completing this quilt was sewing white bias tape to the outside edges of the quilt. When I finished, it was messier than I had hoped but it looks complete! The bias tape is folded in such a way that you only have to sew it on to get a complete look (no folding then sewing then folding and sewing again).
Hope this helps if you are considering making one yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment